Don’t you just love Almond Milk? It’s my favorite Milk Alternative. The only thing you’ll always find in our fridge actually.
When I buy Almond Milk it’s usually the Blue Diamond Brand. (Unsweetened-sometimes with vanilla.). If I am going to cook with it then I usually always use the kind with no vanilla. The silk brand will do in a pinch, however it’s just to thick for me and my family. To my surprise my local grocer chain Hy-Vee started selling almond milk with their private label. (Its really pretty good too.) This made me really happy. Mainly because that tells me how mainstream its becoming and will likely be easier to obtain other places! Double Yay to that!
Here are some fun facts about almond milk:
1. High in Iron, Riboflavin & Vitamin E
2. High Levels of Omega-6 Fatty Acids (11 grams)
3. Studies show that diets high in tree nuts may lower cholesterol. (Ok, I know that wasn’t just about almonds, but oh well.)
4. Almonds are one of the most nutritious of all nuts.
Here’s my super yummy video on how to make some delicious almond milk:
Ok so you can’t eat the video but I’m sure you get it.
Want Ideas For All That Pulp? Check this out:
- Make almond cookies this is a great recipe.(Vegan, GF)
- Make Almond pulp masks for your face. Try this recipe
- Add it to your hot cereal or granola.
- Dry it in your dehydrator or oven and then use it like flour,
- Use it to bread things.
- Use it to top things like casseroles or pies.
If you don’t have time to use it right away just freeze it for later use. Otherwise it will mold in a day or two in the fridge.
If you want to make sure that your almonds are truly raw then you will probably need to speak to the grower and processor themselves. I know that seems like an odd thing to want to do, but there have been laws passed recently that have now forbid California Almond Growers (which is where most of the worlds almonds are from) from shipping out almonds that are going to the public with out pasteurizing them first. Also, some growers in other regions are labeling almonds raw, when in fact the almonds are not technically raw anymore. The way that the processors are taking the shells off is a steaming process which takes the almond above the 114* temperature.
Have you tried anything new lately? What is your favorite Milk Alternative? Please let me know I would love to hear about it.
Hey, You Might Also Like These Posts: